Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Blog Etiquette

Let me start by saying I am dying to know who the lonely sole is that voted "no" in the poll. I just identified the downfall of a poll. Anonymity.

Now on to the subject-

I knew that with the pioneering of any new concept is the pain of a learning curve. If you are a guy out there entertaining the idea of having your own "Man Blog", take heed of the following two rules that I was completely unaware of. With man blogging comes a certain responsibility that you can't find in books or classes, but can only be found through trial and error. I feel it is my responsibility to share my findings so that others do not fall victim to the same mistakes that I have made.

Rule #1: If you start your own blog, and somebody comments on it, it is understood that you should add a link to their blog from your blog. Otherwise you are snubbing your audience.

Now, being the man that I am, I rarely consider the feelings of others (my wife just choked on that one). Call it insensitivity or selfishness if you'd like - I just call it being lazy. Just for the record, most men would make the same mistake I did, and I assure you it was nothing personal. I won't mention any names here, but you know who you are, and you have officially been added to my list...........Can we still be friends?

Rule #2: It is looked down upon for you to read somebody else's blog without making known to this person via "comments" that you are reading their blog. Some might call this "blog stalking". I hear its a pretty common thing (as a matter of fact, I would say that each of us has been guilty of it at some point...again, I will refrain from using names here) but it is strongly criticized in the blog world. Just to set the record straight, I am well aware of the fact that my blog is posted for the entire world to see, and if I have a need to restrict my audience, I will use email. If you are blog stalking while reading this, consider this an open invitation to continue.

As a side note and a good way to end this, the beard is growing slowly but surely, and my wife refused to kiss me this morning when I left for work. As the Counting Crows once said, its going to be a "Long November".......... ok, so he said December....close enough. For the record, the lead singer (Adam Duritz) had a beard in the video......I feel you bro. Here's the link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNF1a-ZG1uc

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Have you heard of November Rain?

Frankie G. said...

My name is Frankie and I am a blog stalker.

Joe said...

Thanks for the blog tips.......did you get these from your wife or some blog stalking nazi? or both?

Kristi said...

I feel very left out. I gave you a couple of days to remember me in your blog links. I even voted for you. My daughter thinks you and your wife are the coolest. She would live with you guys if you gave her the go ahead. And this is how I am treated.

Stu said...

I'm just stalking for the Joeyism of the day.