Saturday, January 10, 2009

Highlights of the Christmas Holidays

Ok. So my wife hijacked my blog and posted a not so flattering picture of me on my own blog. That's me drying dishes at "Christmas at the Brakefield's". This is not an everyday event for me - drying dishes that is, but I was just walking by and the next thing I know, I have a towel in my hand and am taking orders from Mrs. Mable Herron. I love Mrs. Mable. You have to admire a woman who can have a grown man drying dishes without ever knowing he's doing it, and enjoying it. Mrs. Mable is Jen's mom, and Jen might as well be considered family ( I won't try to explain this one.....she's like an adopted sister), which would make Mrs. Mable like my long lost aunt - sort of. So, that about sums up my Christmas. I dried dishes at the Christmas get together.

As most of you know, we lost a family member over the Christmas holidays. Macee was a crude, foul smelling, dirty chocolate lab that we had for 9 years. She was at home waiting for us when we brought both Tyler and Marlee home from the hospital. She loved our kids as much as we did, she was always happy to see me, no matter what, and she could eat as much food as you could set in front of her. She ran in her sleep and it sounded like somebody was breaking into the house. She made loud groaning noises all the time. She could fire a shot that would clear the room....one that smelled so bad SHE would get up and move. She was the best dog I have ever had. She loved unconditionally. I swore I wouldn't cry when it was time for her to go, but after that first shot, when she turned to me to say goodbye, I couldn't hold it in. You are missed Macee Lou.


On a lighter note, my son thinks that the Hispanics that are at his school speak "English". We have tried to explain that it is "Spanish", but it just isn't sinking in. It's a real source of confusion for him and I have never really understood why. So we are riding in the car the other night, and Tyler asks "Who speaks English?". And my ever wise wife responds "we speak English". So he asks "Who speaks Francis?" - to which my wife responds "do you mean French?". And he says "yes". And my wife, (who's never been much on geography) responds "people in England". How could you not love a girl like that.

And to think, all this time I have wondered why Tyler is so confused about different languages..........

6 comments:

Bre said...

This is a FABULOUS post. I am cracking up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is priceless about the languages :)

Unknown said...

I don't know who posted on your blog...but I ended up correcting myself on the FRANCE thing. I had a mommy brain episode...I am so glad you are back blogging. You were with us 2 weeks and that was your highlights? Love you anyway.

Jenny said...

Definitely have missed your posts. I laughed out loud!!!

Michelle said...

Why do I get so excited when you post? I love the Mabel comment. Poor Tyler having to ask Marsha school questions. Wait until he has to start spelling!

Daddy Roach said...

Is it Mable or Mabel? I wasn't sure. For some reason I'm worried about spelling her name wrong. Like I might get in trouble or something......

I asked Marsha how to spell it.....I knew better.....

Karen said...

LOL!!! Welcome Back!